Yay! You've booked your family photos. Now, what to wear?
Choosing outfits for family photos can be daunting. I've been there...right where you are...sitting on my couch at night while my daughter watches Moana for the 110th time, googling things like "cute fall family outfit ideas" and "summer beach family photo outfits", only to end up spending too much time on Pinterest, not even looking at anything remotely related to my original search. It's okay. I'm here to help!
Here are a few of my simplest tips for choosing the best outfits for your family.
- Choose a color palette and then dress everyone in your family in different colors within that palette (earth tones, cool tones, warms tones, neutrals, pastels, etc.)
- Stay away from logos and super busy patterns, as they can be distracting in photos. One or two family members in a subtle pattern is okay, but don't go crazy and dress everyone in stripes or polkadots.
- Dress in something you feel good in. I know, easier said than done. But think comfortable and flattering. I'm a big fan of flowy dresses for women (if that's your style) because they're flattering and provide movement, which translates well in photos.
- Think about your scenery. Try to choose colors that complement your environment.
- Dress as casual or as formal as you'd like. These are YOUR photos! My suggestion is try to choose something timeless. The trendier your clothes are, the quicker you'll outgrow those photos.
Take a look at some of these real families I've photographed for inspiration--from Carmel beaches to California mountains and forests to Michigan cherry orchards. Don't worry, you've got this!